Teens - Learn to Drive Safely and also Learn How to Ride Transit!
Why Riding Transit is a SAFER Choice
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among American teenagers, killing between 5,000 and 6,000 teenagers every year.
- Teenage drivers account for 12.6 percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes.
- The fatal crash rates among 16 to 19 year-olds is four times that of older drivers.
- Risk is the highest at age 16, when the fatal crash rate is 40 percent higher than for 18 year-olds and 30 percent higher than for 19- year-olds.
- 89 percent of teens said their parents have the biggest influence on how they drive
- 56 percent of teens said they make and answer cell phone calls while driving
- 13 percent of teens said they send and respond to text messages while driving
- Riding in a bus is 79 times safer than in a car
-Teen Driver Information from a Recent AllState Foundation Survey